Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Elementary school day one... success!!!

Just got back from the elementary school, the class I'm working with is a Self-Contained class for students with special needs. The Self-Contained class at the high schools teacher, Mrs. Stoecker who I've been volunteering with for the past four years (and also happens to be my mentor) told the elementary level class about me, and now I'm booked to teach a lesson for a half hour every wednesday.

Today I went over with the kids what it means to be Deaf, and I explained to them why they would need to use sign language, and that anybody can learn sign language and that they use it everyday like when they wave hello or goodbye and when they count on their fingers.

I introduced the colors to them, and they picked up on it really well! However, I'm not sure if they fully understand the purpose of sign language so I'm planning on the next week going over the colors again, and then teaching them how to sign 'How are you' / 'good'/ 'bad' and have an activity where the go around to their peers and have a small conversation with each other so they get the concept that sign language is a tool for communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment